Thursday, November 09, 2006

Just one of those long breaks from reality

You ever just want to scream in the middle of the street like they do in the movies? I mean the kind of scream that is supposed to echo off every wall in the city!

I am deep in the throes of 5th grader angst and there are days that I wish I had opted for the pony. Not that I don't adore my daughter, but I look back at what I was expected to do at her age and what she is getting away with and it just doesn't seem right. I had to cook dinner and look after my brothers. SHE is crying "Abuse!" if I ask her to make her bed.

Yes, children have it easier now, but--DAMN!!!! I can't see how that is fair. Now, I admit that she is terribly spoiled, but that is just about inevitable with an only child. I am trying to instill in her the notion that nothing is free in life, but she thinks that I am a never-empty ATM. We have had several arguments over her losing a toy and expecting me to just buy another one. Little diva even went on eBay to see if there was another one out there. Then she started looking at other, similar toys and telling me about how they are "only $35.00" and "I really NEED it!"--each demand accompanied with crocodile tears and much eye-batting, of course.

Now, I am looking in my closet and eyeing all the Savers bargains and wondering what part of "budget" she is failing to understand...

Christmas is coming up, as is her birthday. Luckily FOR HER, the first will be financed by my union rebate and the second by the tax refund. My Christmas will be getting my car tags renewed... Sad, isn't it?

No comments: